Saturday, April 17, 2010

Winding Down...

After a busy week it was time to wind down and so last night I headed to one of Crows Nest's newest establishments - "Small Bar".   Small it is but it is a "Big" hit with the locals.  Only opened about a month ago I thought I would go and take a look.  So with my husband and close friend K we headed off after work for drinks.





Once a restaurant, it has been converted in a gorgeous bar with an outdoor area.  We loved the fairy lights in the courtyard and the menu is wonderful.  It is a great boost to Crows Nest and is the sister bar to the "Small Bar" in the city (Eskine Street). 

It is wonderful to see Sydney starting to embrace small bars the way Melbourne has for years.  There you can find hole in the wall bars, bars in small alley ways etc.  It gives Melbourne character and reminds me of other cities in the world.  Sydney has been somewhat lagging in this area but they are slowly popping up due to new council regulations and a softening of liquor laws. 

Run down alley ways of the city and small spaces are now converting themselves into night time destinations for the hip crowds.  This is attractive to overseas visitors too who are not to pleased by a city that only seems to pulsate during business hours.  Unlike other large cities around the world, at night you could be forgiven for thinking Sydney was a ghost town at night.

Now with inner city living being promoted, residents need local bars and restaurants to stay open later.  Crows Nest is a perfect example.  Anyway that it my 2c for today! 

I must say that working in Crows Nest can be dangerous for the waistline!  So many great places to choose from.  I wonder how many calories I burn off by stretching my canvases and running up and down my shop stairs all day?

No comments:

Post a Comment