Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Season of Colour

Fashion magazines are heralding the return of colour.  Although we are going into Autum and tend to wear darker colours during this season, the trend emerging overseas (which we then follow), is the return to colour. 
Florals, block colours and 80's colour themes are back.  Handbags and shoes in every colour of the rainbow are the new trend.  Mixing colours together and bright statement accessories are in vogue.










Obviously due to my artworks, I am a huge fan of colour.  Colour is the perfect medicine for when you need a mood lift.  When customers enter my store they all remark how colourful and bright it is.  I love working in an environment that feels so welcoming when you walk in the door. 
It doesn't surpise me that companies inject colour into their workplaces to lift the mood of employees.  Hospitals use colour to brighten the mood of sick patients.  Colour is confidence and shows optimism.  Colour is happiness and enjoying life. 

Surrounded by Colour
My artwork also hangs in hospitals and I hope it brings a smile to the face of sick children and their families.  If they can have a brief moment where they stop thinking about being sick then it makes my life so worth while.
Recently my eldest son was seriously ill and at the hospital he was taken to they didn't have colourful artworks or anything for the children to focus on whilst tests were being done or needles injected.  Trying to get my son to focus on something whilst in this situation was frustrating.   Sterile bland walls do nothing to help patients who are sick and afraid.
Once my son recovered I took an artwork up to the hospital to show them my appreciation.  They were thrilled.  And so now other children being treated could have something to enjoy.  If I had my way I would re-decorate all hospitals with colour and light.  I'm amazed that the government does not spend more money in this area.  There is science behind the use of colour in lifting moods and stimulating the senses.
Life is colourful and in hard times we need more of it, not less.

No comments:

Post a Comment