Saturday, April 24, 2010

When Cakes Are Works Of Art

As an artist I can appreciate how hard it is to create a breathtaking piece.  Whether it be an artwork, necklace or sculpture; the amount of hours involved can be staggering.  The joy of standing back and admiring your work once completed is second to none.  Even more wonderful is watching the face of the person receiving the item you've created and knowing that they'll be enjoying it for years to come.




I admire Cake Artists and I'm continually stunned by the breathtaking designs they come up with.  However unlike my art which will hopefully be enjoyed for years, cakes are made to be eaten and that is why I couldn't bear to do what they do.  To spend days or weeks designing, making and decorating the cakes; only to have them eaten and demolished within a few minutes would drive me insane.  Although I know that is what they are paid well to do, I would still feel sad to see it eaten. 

Strange I know!  But then I was the same way about sand castles at the beach.  When I was young my family would go to the beach and make sand castles or sea creatures in the sand.  Decorated with shells and other items we found on the beach, I'd be upset if a wave washed over it or if it fell down.  Worse if someone walked through it. 

Therefore I'd rather get someone else to make a special theme cake so I don't have an emotional attachment to it.  Precious I know, but artists are like that!

In the US there are two shows on TV which have cult followings.  "Cake Boss" and "Ace of Cakes". 




Cake Boss - "Carlo's Bake Shop" - New Jersey



Filming "Cake Boss"


Ace of Cakes

 Like "Masterchef" here in Australia, these shows have started a theme cake baking frenzy in the States.  This is a good thing as not only is it educational, it is fun.  People want to have a go themselves and theme cakes these days cost a fortune.   Why not do the work yourself, get satisfaction out of it and have fun at the same time.



Cake Boss - Rachel Ray Show Cake



Cake Boss Cake



Cake Boss Cake



Cake Boss Cake



Hogwarts Cake - By "Ace of Cakes"



Russian Doll Cakes - By "Ace of Cakes"

Just remember to smile sweetly (through gritted teeth maybe) as your castle has a turret cut off, or the red car you've made is cut up like a rebirthing syndicate.  Oh well...

No comments:

Post a Comment