Friday, April 30, 2010

New Additions To The Family!

Last night I bought two new little babies home.  With their tiny little ears and pink noses they are very, very cute.  My boys are besotted and could barely get to sleep last night from excitement.  You've probably guessed they're pets.  Two little mice to be exact.


I will admit to being apprehensive at first.  Will they smell, will they be too hard to clean up after and will they somehow get free and run around the house.  And will I "freak out" if that is the case? 


But then I clapped my eyes on them at the pet store and realised that I simply had to get them for the boys.  They adore pets and are very responsible.  And I couldn't walk away without two as they are so cute!   With their little noses twitching and watching them run around on the wheel, it was fun to watch.  Watching others snuggle up together and I was sold!
Pet stores are so interesting.  I love checking out all the animals, the toys and all the bits and pieces they sell.   Who knew animals could need so much to entertain them?   Pet shops and pet grooming is huge and actually inspired my petshop artwork.


The cute little girl in the pet store helped me select the right environment for them.  They even get their own little play centre with coloured tube walkways, slides and running wheel.  Like the indoor playground at the local McDonalds, these guys will have endless fun.  What is it about mice and those spinning wheels anyway?  They do seem to like them.


They were a bit apprehensive about the slides but once one took the plunge, the other followed suit.  This was much to the laughter and joy of my two who were giggling their heads off.


We've had all sorts of pets over the years.  The large stick insects were probably the weirdest.  In their large tank they would sit and not really do very much.  Not much action in stick insects.  But mice, they are fun. 

Some people I've told have scrunched their noses up at two mice.  But don't knock it until you try them.  It isn't like we're talking about big dirty rats in the house.  Others are curious and my sister is thinking about getting a couple for her children.  Not only are they fun, they are educational and also teach the children about responsibility (looking after a pet).


Anyway, after a long night trying to get my boys to finally go to sleep, they finally settled down.  They are tired today but love the little guys. 

I might have to create a new petshop artwork for boys.  Full of creepy crawlies, stick insects and small critters.  All the things that generally freak me out but I'm getting better!

No comments:

Post a Comment