Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Fashionista as the Fairy Princess

I don't remember the exact moment or time it happened.  It wasn't traumatic and it certainly wasn't painful.  Nor did I shed buckets of tears.  I simply don't remember though I do still mourn the loss.

The loss of wearing my fairy outfits.

As a young lady there comes an age where you simply can't run around wearing a tinkerbell costume anymore.  Unless you work at Disneyland, are off to a costume party (which even then is a bit dubious) or work in a very "old' profession (wink).  Or unless you are Paris Hilton. 


We either get told we are too old for wearing fairy costumes or we outgrow them.  They simply don't make them over a girls size 8-10.  And if they do then we are frowned upon as "not growing up"


It is no surprise to me that my Fairyland Artwork is my number one seller.  Mothers and daughters "ooh" and "ahh" together.   Sometimes I can't figure out who it is really for!  Which is fine as then both mother and daughter get immense pleasure from it.  Quite simply it is a "girl thing".  Little girls want to be fairies and princesses.  Older women want the same but don't admit it.   (And we all are green with envy at Princess Mary of Denmark).
The closest many older women get to feeling like a princess or fairy is when you find THE dress.  It is the dress that makes you feel like floating on air.  For some of us it is our wedding dress, for others a formal dress or special gown.  I have a few but I'm currently lusting after dresses that I've found on netaporter.com


Eva Longoria in Marchesa

If only I could go to the Academy Awards.  Loving fashion as I do, I don't care about the show or the celebrities (that is the bonus), as I just want to wear a princess dress.  I am in love with Marchesa dresses!  How can a woman wear these and not feel like a grown up fairy princess?! 




Personally I think more women should embrace their inner fairy princess and wear their favourite dress as often as they can.  Why should little girls get all the fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment