Tuesday, May 4, 2010

These Boots Are Made For Walking...

Yesterday I posted about my foray into the world of camping.  As a new tent owner I am now ready to embrace the great outdoors.   However I don't see why my fashion and sense of style should suffer.  I predict the big new trend in fashion will be "Outdoor Camping Chic".  You heard it here first!

So it was with great excitement that my latest purchase arrived via courier from the UK.  Behold my new boots...



Hunter Wellington Boots 2010 Collection

Hunter's black Wellington boots get a luxe update with the addition of crocodile-stamped panels and silver-tone rivets.  

Hunter boots are legendary and here's why...

Originally, Hunter rain boots (circa 1856) were designed for traversing Scotland's rugged terrain and combating its unpredictable weather. 

Production of wellington boots were dramatically boosted with the advent of World War I when the company was asked by the War Office to construct a sturdy boot suitable for the conditions in flooded trenches. The mills ran day and night to produce immense quantities of these trench boots. In total, 1,185,036 pairs were made to cope with the Army's demands. The fashionable boot was a functional necessity.


For WWII they were once again called upon to supply vast quantities of green wellingtons and thigh boots. 80% of production was for war materials - from ground sheets to life belts and gas masks.


In 1977, having continued to supply wellies to the Royal Households for decades, Hunter was awarded a Royal Warrant from HRH The Duke of Edinburgh. This was shortly followed, in 1986, by a Royal Warrant from HM The Queen. Providing great recognition for their work in keeping some very important feet dry!






That's right, only the best quality wellington boots.  However no old fashioned ones for me.  We are talking rock chick fashionista at the camping ground.    And if the rain turns it into Glastonbury, then like every fashionable UK concert goer, I'll be ready! 


             


Fashion aside, they are pretty sturdy and you know they have to be good when the English Royal Family have Royal Warrants on the products.   I can imagine them all walking over their Balmoral Estate in Scotland in these things.   Or the Queen walking the corgis around the castle in a pair.  Maybe she has a pair of these ones.  Who says everything has to been khaki green. 




They look superb even though they didn't really help Camilla when she fell in a rabbit hole and broke her foot.   However at least if I do fall into a hole or experience any other calamity whilst camping, I'll at least have the peace of mind to know I look fantastic when I'm being taken away in a stretcher.   


No comments:

Post a Comment