Monday, May 3, 2010

The Great Outdoors...

I will admit that I like my creature comforts.  Weekends away should include good food, wine, crisp white sheets and cocktails by the pool.  As I work most days of the week I live for any time away and make the absolute most of it. Not having to cook, clean and room service a phone call away.  Bliss...


My husband loves these weekends away too but he also loves the great outdoors.  He grew up camping and fishing and loves nothing better than sleeping under the stars.  Whether it be camping in the outback or 4WD vehicles on a empty beach, he loves "roughing it".   

My two boys also love it and so the pressure has been building to go camping as a family.  I remember camping years ago.  Not fondly.  No hot showers, clean bathrooms, hotel beds and certainly no cocktails from the menu.  Dinner on a camp stove and waking up to dip in the ocean was certainly a new experience.  Spiders and other creepy crawlies.  No power points in the tent - a disaster for hairdryers and straightening irons - the horror of it all!

So to the utter surprise of my husband, I suggested (aka: "capitulated"), we finally buy a tent and go camping.  It was like someone had just announced he'd won the lottery.  And so off to the Camping and Caravan show we went.  Held over Easter, it is a Mecca for camping enthusiasts.



With every conceivable camping gadget and portable item, it is amazing how modern "roughing it" has become.  I have to say that I was impressed by some of the new developments.  Real beds that fold up rather than a cheap and nasty blow up mattress and a sleeping bag.  Portable toilets and showers!  Who would have thought it.  Mini fridges and folding kitchens.  Hello, it is a whole new camping world!  Mind you, you need one big van to haul it all in.

And the big news?  We actually came away from the show with a new tent!!
 
 


I am quite impressed.  We now have to work out a time to take our family outdoor getaway.  My boys are very excited and I have reached a new level of "coolness" in their eyes.  It will be quite the experience for me.

Though I do think I will pack Martini glasses and byo cocktail mixers anyway.  One can't give up every luxury you know!  Given that I've said yes to camping my husband won't mind being bartender.  Sounds like a fair trade.

I'll keep you posted on how it all goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment