Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Pretend Play And My Dream Kitchen.

Continuing my blog in a similar nostalgic theme, I can't help finding inspiration from my own childhood. Whether it be the novelty cakes we ate, to the tent cubby houses that we hid in with all the stuffed animals or the pretend shopping and tea parties. Pretending to be a grown-up was a popular past-time.
There was always tea to be poured, dollies to be bathed or given haircuts (or massacred as mine all were!), to making mud cakes and eating pretend plastic food. Pretend play is part of childhood. For a child such as myself with a vivid imagination, my parents encouraged it and helped us build elaborate cubby houses.



I've tried to create similar play spaces in my house for the children. Our boys were running between each other's rooms so much that we decided to cut a hole/secret door in the wall and gyprock it up to make it into a secret passage way. This has been a huge hit with our boys and other children who visit.
Some parents who have visited are shocked we made the opening in the wall, but also pleasantly surprised at how such a simple idea created such a fun play space. And in any case, it can be simply gyprocked up and painted back over once they are older (and sick of each other!), others none the wiser.
Therefore what about a porthole in a sailors mock bedroom. Or a little raised platform/stage for a budding little thespian to hold a show. A bedroom or playroom can be as simple or elaborate as your imagination takes you.
One of the things most parents lament is the lack of pretend play in children today. They would rather play playstation or Wii to pretending to have a tea party. Or watch TV rather than planning a trip to the moon in their rocketship.
A teacher once told me that they are now having to teach pretend play!
It is wonderful to see designers incorporating pretend play into their furniture and decor. Even garden landscapers are now creating "garden rooms" for children to play and explore. It may be more sophisticated now but it is still heartening to see.

Which brings me to my dream kitchen. This would have been my perfect play room. For someone who loves her kitchen and also running a store, I can imagine myself playing as a child in this kitchen. To be honest, I would love this mini-version for myself even now! I don't know quite what I'd do with it but it is so adorable.
Pictures from Pottery Barn US

I hope you've gained some inspiration from this blog. Think back to when you were a child and the ideas will flow!

No comments:

Post a Comment